Hello wonderful people and Happy Endometriosis Awareness Month! #SewYellowForEndo is back for another year with livestreams, blogs, vlogs, lots of yellow sewing, and lots and LOTS of chat about menstrual health and periods.
I’ve been literally silent here on the blog as things have been so busy I’ve not had the mental space to write but Sew Yellow For Endo is back and I’m hoping this will be a nice push to get back to blogging.
Endometriosis Awareness Month 2022
Endometriosis is a cruel condition that affects one in ten women and is the second most common gynaecological condition in the UK. It causes agonising periods, pain with sex, problems with bowel and bladder function and can contribute to infertility. Despite that diagnosis takes seven years on average and honestly? Thats way too long.
Endometriosis is a cruel condition that affects 1 in 10 women and people observed female at birth, making it the second most common gynaecological condition in the UK. It causes agonising periods, pain with sex, problems with bowel and bladder function and can contribute to infertility. Despite that diagnosis takes eight years on average!
Endometriosis Awareness Month prompts us to talk openly about Endometriosis and menstrual health and the impacts it can have. No one knows what causes endometriosis and there is no known cure. However the earlier you catch it, the more effective treatments can be. The first step is knowing something is wrong which is why discussing menstrual health is vital. I am an endo-warrior and although I had a successful surgery back in June 2019, it is still a condition I will have to live with for the rest of my life.
The aim of #SewYellowForEndo is to raise awareness and provide a platform for other sewists to share their experiences as well as raise money for Endometriosis UK, the main charity supporting Endo warriors in the UK. The month involves Instagram Lives with a range of guests, sharing resources to improve menstrual knowledge, running mini-quizzes, destashing our fabrics for a good cause, and sewing up plenty of yellow garments!
Key Events: Sew Yellow For Endo 2022
The Big Destash – 12th & 13th March
The Big Destash invites you to destash for a good cause! You can destash fabrics, patterns, notions – whatever you want! Over the weekend of the 12th and 13th March share your fabrics on Instagram for whatever price is appropriate and then donate what you’re able of the profits to our Just Giving page.
How Do I Enter?
- Take photos of what you want to destash and post them on Instagram with the price either on your grid or on your stories on Saturday 12th & Sunday 13th.
- Post off your destash item to its new owner!
- Donate whatever amount you are able to to the Just Giving Page
The Sew Yellow Challenge – Reveal Day 26th March
I am inviting you to learn more about Endometriosis and sew up a yellow or partially yellow garment/outfit. Put your sewing skills to the test and support the Endometriosis community by whipping up a gorgeous yellow garment and show it off on 26th March on Instagram!
How Do I Enter?
Like the sound of the challenge? Well entering is super easy! All you need to do is:
- Sew a yellow (or partially yellow) garment/outfit and post a picture on instagram with the hashtag #SewYellowForEndo2022 on the weekend of the 26th March. Please tag me @sowhatifisew so I can find your entry.
- Donate £1 to Endometriosis UK via my Just Giving Page (remember to include your instagram name in the donation message!)
- Include a fun fact you’ve learnt about Endometriosis or tell me whats been your favourite part of the Endometriosis Awareness Month in the caption of your post.
Entrants must be over 18 and UK resident to be eligible for prizes. If you’re none-UK based and still want to take part I would love to see your yellow outfit and I am working on sourcing some international prizes as we speak.
I am extremely pleased to say that we have some fabulous sponsors on board who are donating prizes to the challenge! We have…. *drum roll please*
- Lush Cloth will be offering a £25 gift voucher for the winner to use on any products within 3 months of the challenge.
- Sew Sew Sew are donating a £20 gift voucher to spend in their online shop.
- The Stitch Sisters are donating any one class for free to one of your winners.
- Crafty Sew & So and their sister brand My Handmade Wardrobe Patterns have teamed up to provide an amazing prize! Imagine waking up and choosing a unique garment from a wardrobe full of your own creations. With My Handmade Wardrobe Patterns, you can create comfortable and stylish everyday essentials to get you excited about getting dressed every single day! The winner chosen will be able to choose three MHW pdf patterns to download. What would you choose? Our oh so comfy Cosy Jersey Dress, the classic Ready To Party Dress, or a stylish Button Up Skirt. We can’t wait to see! *N.B. The extension pack for the Cosy Jersey Dress will be excluded from this offer.
- Stitch & Ink Fabrics are donating a £10 voucher for their online shop.
- Tammy Handmade is offering a wonderful pattern bundle including the Raj Dress & Hayley Robe.
- Jenny Stitches Fabric is offering a £25 gift voucher, for use on anything in store and online, to one lucky winner.
- 1st For Fabrics are donating a £20 gift voucher.
- Size Me Sewing are offering 5 people the chance to win 1 pdf of their choice
- CLC Essex would like to offer any Ellie & Mac pattern plus the pattern pack with the A0 pages, premium booklet and printed envelope all included.
- Pattern Pouch Nest, a new business in the sewing community, is offering one of their new pattern goodie bags with a pattern of your choice .
- Hey Sew Sister are donating a prize of a £25 voucher to spend on our website.
- Sew Totally Me are offering a £15 fabric voucher to spend on their website.
- Stitch Crafts UK are donating one of their stunning handmade sewing machine covers to one lucky winner.
Winners will be chosen randomly on Monday 28th March over on instagram!
Yellow Fabric Discounts
To help you get involved a number of sewing companies are offering discounts on yellow fabrics or will be donating a percentage of sales to Endometriosis UK.
- Stitch & Ink Fabrics will be offering a 10% discount for the whole month of the challenge. The code is ‘SEWYELLOW’ and will be valid all month. N.B. The discount does not include gift cards or subscription boxes. Visit their website: https://www.stitchandink.co.uk
- Sew Much Moor is offering a 10% discount that is already applied! Check out their collection here: https://www.sewmuchmoor.co.uk/ourshop/cat_1764297-Sew-Yellow-For-Endo.html
- Sew Totally Me is offering a 10% discount using code SEWYELLOW10 Check out their collection here: https://sewtotallyme.co.uk/collections/sew-yellow-for-endo
- Jenny Stitches Fabric is offering a discount of 10% site wide for the whole month using the code SEWYELLOWFORENDO. Visit their website: https://www.jennystitches.co.uk
- Felicity Fabrics is offering a discount of up to 15% on yellow fabrics and no worries about a code, its already applied on the website! Check out their website: https://felicityfabrics.co.uk/?s=yellow+fabric
- Hey Sew Sister have put together a special fabric collection on their website especially for Sew Yellow For Endo with 10% off regular price. Use the code ‘SYFE22’ at the checkout. Visit their collection: https://heysewsister.co.uk/shop/special-collections
- Eliza Mac Fabrics are offering a 10% discount on yellow fabrics, no need for a code its already been applied! Check it out here: https://www.elizamacfabrics.co.uk/sew-yellow-for-endo
- Crafty Sew & So will be donating 10% sales from Yellow Fabrics to Endometriosis UK during the month of March. Check out their website here: https://craftysewandso.com
- Made With Love Scrunchies are donating 20% of their sales from the month of March to Endometriosis UK – find them on instagram!
- Fleur Et Oeurs are going to be donating 10% of their yellow fabric sales to Endometriosis UK, check out their collection of fabrics here: https://fleuretours.com/product-category/yellow/
- Scrunchies & Sew are donating 20% of their sales that include a yellow item to Endometriosis UK – find them on instagram!
Instagram Live Series
The other big event series going on this month is the Instagram Lives with Endometriosis Warriors from across the sewing community. Join us every Wednesday on instagram to talk about all things Endo! Lets normalise discussing menstrual health, raise awareness of the condition and the variety of experiences had within the Endometriosis community. We will also have some more scientific content talking about what the condition actually is so anyone who hasn’t heard of it can learn more. I’ve listed the lives below so check them out and come along!
- 2nd March 8pm – My own endo experience (this has already happened but you can watch it back here!)
- 4th March 8pm – What I’m Sewing & So What If I Sew – Endo Experiences
- 9th March 7pm – Sew Much To Say & So What If I Sew – Endo Experiences
- 16th March 8pm – The Mindful Scientist & So What If I Sew – What is Endometriosis?
- 23rd March 8pm – Sew Sew Becki & So What If I Sew – Endo Experiences
- 30th March 8pm – The Hungary Sewist & So What If I Sew – Endo Experiences
The fact is that many women have to go through an average 8 years of agony to get diagnosed and it’s terrible. How many women will go their whole lives not being believed about their pain, being told its normal or ‘part of being a woman’ to suffer? This year I want to shout about menstrual health, have some fabulous conversations, learn, sew some beautiful yellow garments, and support EndometriosisUK.
Let’s end the stigma around menstrual health and let’s talk about Endometriosis.